This project is to begin development on a Chromium-based text editor (or simple IDE), similar in functionality to TextMate or E-text editor. ? As such it requires access to the file system (unlike a typical web browsers).
We plan to release the source code as open-source, so this is a great opportunity to develop and interesting project, and if you do a good job gain fame in open source community!
NOTE: This project requires modifying the Chromium source code!! Please only respond if you are comfortable doing this!!
* Create, open, save text files
* Editor tabs across the top of window. Document icon denotes a text file. (*) denotes a file is modified and not saved
* Line numbers in left gutter.
* Syntax highlighting for common file types like html, js, css, xml, php, etc. (**NOTE: this feature could be optional if this adds a lot of complexity, please specify in project proposal if this is easy or hard)
* Cut, copy, paste, etc. uses standard chrome functionality.
* Project view along left side of window: tree view of files and subfolders.
* Double-clicking on files opens editor
* Ability to open directory as project
* Find command (in current file) leverages standard chrome functionality.
* Create function to search all files in Project which pops up search dialog (with "match case" checkbox)
Toolbar/menubar/keyboad shortcuts for:
* New file, Open, Save, Save All
* Copy, Cut, Paste (standard in Chrome), Undo, Redo (**multiple levels of undo would be nice but not required at this point)
* Any other shortcuts that may be useful for editing (for example Go to line, Go to file, etc)
* Toolbar is optional (**please specify in project if you think this will add significant programming time to project)
* Optionally, a menu bar could be added as well in addition/instead of toolbar
* Installer for Windows required
* Installer/package for Linux/Mac (optional)
**Please submit along with your proposal:**
* Experience hacking/developing Chromium
* C/C++ experience
* Experience with developing any of the following: Text Editor, Eclipse, Linux, Open Source, etc.
* Approximate estimated effort in number of hours
* Approximate time (in days or weeks) required to complete project
* Are you interested in working long-term on this project (after this initial project is complete)?